Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Entropy Wednesday - computer refresh edition

Is there any better way to kill productivity at work than by having to go through a computer refresh? I don't even want a new laptop. The old one works perfectly fine. It probably says much about modern work that you feel completely paralyzed without a computer. On the plus side, I have managed to clean at least a geological age worth of dust off my desk and shelves while listening to two episodes of Make Me Smart. On the downside, my new computer will have Windows 10 which means my entire afternoon and probably all day tomorrow will be shot trying to make my computer functional again.

In the year of health, I am happy to report that I am down 7 pounds in the weight category as of last Friday. I think I'm sleeping better and feel like my body is trying to adjust to new sleep patterns. I am also happy to report that I don't really miss FB or IG one bit. I miss my friends at some level, but I don't' feel overwhelmed by all the other useless shit that cluttered my head for much of the day.

A global report on diets healthy for people and the planet came out last week. The report suggests that we need to shift diets to mostly plant-based protein instead of animals both for human health and also to mitigate climate change. As you might imagine, entrenched interests on both ends of the spectrum are very vocal about the report which creates quite the shitshow in social media. There is clearly a nutritional crisis in the world when 1 billion people are suffering from hunger, 2 billion suffering from malnutrition, and another 2 billion people suffering from obesity. Add to that mix that agriculture is the second largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions and it is clear that we have to rethink how our global food system works. While I don't necessarily agree with all of the report, I think it is clear we need to shift what we produce and how we produce it so that we reduce the impact of ag on the planet while at the same time increase the nutrition of all people. I could do without the rock throwing, but hopefully the report will stimulate discussions that lead to solutions and not just more bickering.

I've been on a jazz kick lately. It usually happens in winter. John Coltrane and Thelonius Monk were geniuses. I am seriously thinking of getting myself a porkpie hate in honor of Monk. Why not?

Happy Wednesday. I'll be over here the rest of the afternoon yelling obscenities at Windows 10.

No comments: