Monday, July 25, 2005

A kick in the gut

It's cliche that life isn't fair. Most days, that cliche applies to someone else. But one day, the law of averages will catch up with you and give you a good hard kick in the gut. Today was that day.

I got an email today from a former co-worker, colleague, and friend. He's been diagnosed with an advanced form of a rare cancer and it may have already spread. He said that the outlook wasn't great with only a 30% five-year survival rate. P. is just a bit younger than me. He just became a father for the first time this spring, a son. This is so fucking unfair. I so badly want to be angry, but I don't know at whom I should be pissed. Tonight, I'm just heartbroken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Is this the P we know?
LULU

Anonymous said...

Sorry J
It is way too sad.
Here's to beating the odds!
Julie